30 March 2012

"Welcome Baby" Package

We live a few hours drive from most of our close friends. It's hard being so far away, and every new life event - engagement, marriage, new house, new pet, new baby - only reinforces that we're too far away to drop by to say congrats or to see if there's anything we can do to help.

Since I live too far out to drop by with an offer of dog walking, baby sitting, house cleaning, laundry service, or a home cooked meal, I try to put all my best wishes and hopes into one rather major package that I like to call a "Welcome Baby" package. So far it's usually been a quilt, a couple bibs, some books, a few outfits, and a toy or two. Listed out, it seems like a lot of stuff, but I would rather be near enough to offer support.

I more or less wander the clearance areas of my local stores and pick up anything that is too great a deal or too cute to leave. My one defense? I try to pick a theme and stick to it. So, even if it's adorable, and on sale, if it doesn't fit the theme, I leave it there.

Most of the "Farm" Welcome Package
This time last year I was finishing up the Farm theme package for our nephew. My favorite parts? The quilt and the books. I love books and can spend hours picking favorites to give. Almost everyone gets "The Story of Ferdinand" - one of my absolute favorite books - whether it fits the theme or not.

Over the last few months, I've been working on gathering a few welcome items for Baby C and parents. I've been having a blast, but trying to hold off until I know whether Baby C is a boy or a girl - at least when it comes to clothing, because Dad C is not totally comfortable with a son wearing pink/purple.

Mom C has been collecting a specific animal for most of her life, so of course it has to be featured prominently. Dad C has some specific animals, and a specific country, that are important to him. Trying to mix these important elements has led to an Animal/Jungle kind of theme, and so far I've stuck mainly to greens and browns in terms of colors. I expect an influx in colors, especially purple, if Baby C turns out to be a girl, and probably some more blue if Baby C is a boy.

I can't share much yet, but here's a sneak peek of what I've got going on so far:
Bibs, wipes, a few outfits, and the Wonky Stacked Coin
I know I'll be adding some more books, but I'm also debating about a homemade plush and a winter weight quilt (the wonky stacked coin is very light weight). Of course there will be some more clothes, and probably a few toys.

It seems unfair for everything in the package to be for the new baby, but I never know what to add in for the new parents. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment