29 March 2012

Shelf Revisit


I haven't done anything with this shelf since I hung it on the wall in February. The color at the time seemed a little yellow for me, but I wanted to live with it for a while before putting any more work into it.

The color hasn't grown on me.

Today I wound up with an unexpected free morning, and I thought I'd try changing it up a little. None of the paints I had on hand worked any better on my wall, so I decided to try something a little different. An old jar of Mod Podge (opened by my husband since it was Mod Podged closed!), some sheets of paper from an old book (already falling apart) and a paint brush. Oh, and a bread bag to protect the kitchen counter top.

It took a while to get the hang of laying the pieces of paper just right - the corners took a bit more work than I'd expected.

 Replace the sunflower fabric:

And put it back on the wall.

 Oh, and replace the perfume, of course:

It looks so much better. The natural cream color of the book pages compliments the brown bottles, their tags, and the cream of two of the other wall hangings. And the little bit of nerdiness makes me smile every time I look up, which is a great improvement over reminding me of John Deere. This time, I think it's a keeper.





No comments:

Post a Comment