14 March 2012

Button Down Terry Cloth Back Bib

Bibs are one of my favorite things to make for Welcome Baby packages. With bibs, I can be a little creative while sticking with something that seems more practical than embellished onesies or tiny outfits.

One of my favorite combinations is a terry cloth back and a button down shirt front. Last year I made four from various button down shirts for our nephew.
The blue with the black buttons in my favorite.
It's a fun and easy project and a great way to use up supplies I tend to have on hand anyway. The towels tend to be slightly damaged (a corner has been accidentally bleached, or shredded by the cat), but still have a lot of use left in them. The shirts come from thrift stores or cleaning out closets. Everything gets a pre-wash (with soap) and a high heat dry. After I'm finished sewing, I try to give everything I make at least one post-wash. The final wash is always without any soaps, softeners, perfumes, etc.

For the particular baby I have in mind today, I wanted to try something a little bolder than stripes and plaids.

It's not a shirt I would ever have worn but in this small amount it works. And if the island print is a little loud for the future wearer (or the parents), the terry cloth can easily become the outfacing side.

I was somewhat hesitant about using part of the towel with the decorative weave but after seeing both sides together I'm really glad I went with it - especially if it ends up being used terry cloth side out.


Eventually I'll attach some kind of closure. I've used Velcro in the past, but I worry about it snagging on hair or being trouble when it comes to washing these. So this time I'm leaning toward snaps instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment