13 March 2012

My First Quilt

I spent much of my life trying to get out of sewing. I petitioned my way out of home economics. I practically ran away when my mother (who sewed most of my wardrobe until I was 8 or 9) tried to teach me much more than threading a needle.

In college, I made a towel into a curtain. Then I put the machine away and figured I'd never touch it again.

Wrong.

A few years later, people I know started having babies.

And out of nowhere, I got the idea to make them quilts.

So, I jumped from next to zero sewing machine experience into quilting.

Thanks to tutorials on the internet, online quilting communities where I could lurk and read tips, and the assistance of my mother, I managed to successfully finish my first quilt without any major issues.

My first finish (and probably my favorite to date) was for our nephew


As much as I knew this was the perfect thing to finish off my Welcome Baby basket for our nephew, I had a hard time giving this one away. In addition to the sentimentality of it, I thought it was just about the perfect weight and size. This is one I intend to make again someday - for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment