07 March 2012

Whoops.

I made a quilt.

It wasn't one of the things I was supposed to do, or even one of the things I thought I had time for. I thought I was going to scan through my pinterest boards, pick a recipe to make tomorrow, then get to bed.

Instead I was completely side tracked by my crafting board. Specifically: Giant Vintage Star Quilt

I recently  picked up a few old (though I hesitate to call them vintage) sheet sets with the idea of making quilts out of them. Revisiting In Color Order's tutorial reminded me just how pretty old sheets can look with the right pattern.

I figured I had enough time before bed to cut out my 18 inch squares.

Then to make the half square triangles.

And before I knew it I had a giant star.
If there's sunshine before work tomorrow I'll try for a better picture
It's not perfect. Not even close. My cuts are still suffering from unintentional lopsidedness, which snowballs into the whole thing being a little wonky.

But sometimes I think imperfect things are easier to use.

The pattern creates a quilt that's 68" square, but I'm leaning towards adding fabric until I have either a twin or full size quilt top. My plans for basting it are on hold until I've decided how big a challenge I want to take on - especially in terms of how much I think I can cram through my sewing machine!


No comments:

Post a Comment