24 August 2012

Intentionally Upping the Wonk

What do plates have to do with quilting?

Lots if you don't have a square large enough for your blocks!

After adding another border to my Jungle Blocks, I wanted to intentionally improve the wonky factor in the quilt top. The easiest way to do that turned out to involve a large glass plate and my rotary cutter.

I suppose any template would work fairly well, but I didn't have a hard plastic template large enough for my blocks - and I haven't had luck using guides that can be cut by the rotary blade (like cardboard). If you've got a steadier hand that I, cardboard might work. I liked the plate - I could see how my interior blocks were lining up, and it gave me a great edge to cut against.

As many wonky things as I've made, this is my first time being super intentional about going for that lopsided factor, and it has me even more excited about seeing how the top turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment