18 August 2012

Rocky Mountain Quilt Festival

This weekend I was lucky enough to be able to hit up the Rocky Mountain Quilt Festival. It was my first time stepping out into the great world of quilting. Up until now, I've stuck to blog-stalking and JoAnn's and avoided anywhere too many quilters might hang out. Why? Call it beginner's nerves.

Now that I've been to a quilt festival... I'm feeling much less intimidated. And much more inspired.

There were so many beautiful quilts on display - how could I not be inspired!

"Black and White and Starred All Over" 
Of all the many, many quilts on display there, I think Wenda Lewis's "Black and White and Starred All Over" (above) was not only my favorite, but the one I found most inspirational. I could go on and on about all the things I love about it - from the color choices to the dual color of quilting thread.


I mean, look at those fabric choices! It never would have occurred to me to use some of these prints, but not only does it add to the overall look, but I found myself wanting a closer look at each print.

A close runner-up was the display Ditto quilt, but I didn't get any pictures of it. I'd hoped to find it online in the colors I loved at the Festival, but no luck so far. I actually wound up going back and purchasing the pattern for the Ditto quilt. It'll be my first time actually following a pattern. I've followed a couple tutorials for blocks before, but never a full pattern. I can't wait to get started on it - but I've got other things on my plate to finish before I dare start something new.

I have a feeling that'll be my motto for the next few months - until I'm certain I'm going to finish Rainbow Road on time. 

Here are a few of the other pictures I managed to take. I certainly didn't get a picture of everything I found inspiring, there were too many options - and too many people.

Tracey Barber's "Flamingo Log Cabin"
Couldn't find credit - but is this piping with binding??
Donna Peterson's "Somewhere"

I almost walked out without purchasing anything, but after lunch I just had to go back for the Ditto pattern and this:


I don't know what I'm going to do with it. Yet.

And I'm finishing Rainbow Road first. Yes. First.





Reading through this, it probably sounds like I don't want to work on Rainbow Road. That's not true. I would love to be putting together stars right now. But first I have to do some serious math to figure a fairly accurate estimate of how much fabric I need - at least for the back ground. And since the addition of each full star takes out at least 1.25 inches of fabric (in each direction) for seam allowances (that's what my math tells me so far), I need to know how many full stars, half stars, and quarter stars I'll be using. You can see how doing those maps and calculations might be far less appealing than jumping to something with either of my purchases! 



No comments:

Post a Comment