22 August 2012

Jungle Blocks Again

Remember these blocks?

They've been hanging out on my desk for the majority of the summer (at least it feels that way) waiting for me to find the right fabric to use around/between them.

Nothing's been quite right. Anything with an orange in it clashes too much with the many oranges in the little blocks. (Even though it looks a little salmon in that picture, I assure you, it's a peachy orange.) Trying to match the aquas, greens, or blues has been just as difficult. Yellow might have been my best option, looking at the picture now, but the only yellow I have in my stash is a buttercup gingham. I didn't even try that.

So, I finally picked a fabric - the brown circles I used in Baby C's Wonky Stacked Coin Quilt. Only to run out of yardage half-way through.

This is the kind of problem when I think a 'real' quilter would attempt to find some of the right fabric. I've heard of people checking all sorts of online shops, even putting out calls to any of their friends who might have some.

I'm not that kind of a quilter.

I picked another brown + circle material from my stash and kept going.

I'm not sure it was the right decision. But sometimes one has to keep working through the creative challenges to get a better idea what the final product will really look like. So at the very least I'm going to finish sewing together the top.

What if I hate it then?

Well, that 'real' quilter I torture myself with would probably rip out one of the two fabrics - maybe even both. But the quilter that I actually am? Probably will cut it off the central jungle blocks, even though it'll make them a little smaller.

I'm hopeful it all works together though.




No comments:

Post a Comment