07 August 2012

Wonky Star Attempt 1

Since my newer machine is still out, I've pulled my old Singer in to use again. Strange how when I used it daily I thought it was easy to use, and now I find myself reaching for controls that aren't part of this machine.

The Singer isn't in the greatest shape either, so this seemed like a good time for working on little projects. I'd hoped to continue working on the Pansy Patch blocks, but - while I'm not certain about this - it seems like a bad idea to swap machines half way through a project. Especially since the Singer pulls left and the Kenmore pulls right - just another one of those things I've got to readjust to until I get the Kenmore back in working order.

The first 'new' project that came to hand was a first attempt at a wonky star blocks I'll need if I'm going to make any kind of serious progress on my in-over-my-head Rainbow Road quilt. 


It could use some ironing, I know, but I'd say it's not bad for a first try.

It's also only a first try.

While this is probably the best I've done yet at matching seams, I'd like to be a bit better yet. The edges of the center stand 'out' beyond the top and bottom points just a bit. My best guess is that I need to use a slightly smaller seam allowance on the top/bottom rows than I use on the middle row. Ideally, I should be able to use the exact same all around and have everything turn out perfectly - but that's what I thought I did, and it didn't. So, I'm going to tell myself to think a little smaller with the hope that the results will be a little nearer to equal all around. 

Still, it's a good start.

Even this good start might not be enough if my budget and time get eaten up paying for and waiting on sewing machine repairs. Although... if all I do is make star blocks (like this, in a variety of sizes/colors), it shouldn't be too bad to use various machines - people in bees do it all the time with no problem, don't they? Well, it doesn't solve the money issue, but it could help with the time issue. Hmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment