30 August 2012

Jungle Block Top: Done?

I've been having a blast playing with these jungle blocks (and ignoring some of my other responsibilities).
I've added additional frame fabric - what was supposed to be a sash turned into a frame, which I guess means the blocks really just got larger. Then I worried about whether the two additional pieces of fabric would work together (after completing all the sewing of course). After that, with the help of a square dinner plate, I cut that newly added frame at an intentionally wonky angle.

Which leaves me with this:


(Which again, looks blurry on my previews, but it's quite clear when I look at the image on my computer or in Picasa, so I'm guessing it's just something about the way my blogger preview looks.)

It's safe to say I love it. 

It's also safe to say I'm not convinced it's finished. 

As much as I like the browns, they detract somewhat from the intense colors of the fabrics that started this whole thing. I'm torn between adding a 2-2.5 inch border to the top, in a coordinating peachy/orange or aqua/blue, or simply going for a binding (in an equally coordinating and bright fabric). 


Seeing it drawn out (with my oh so impressive paint skills), I'm leaning toward the top version - which is supposed to represent a bright binding only. The second version is supposed to be a border with a binding.

Since I have no plan for the back - or for where this one is going - there's no real rush on finishing. Except of course for the surge of excitement that comes with each finish. Still, I think I'm going to postpone that finish for a time while I think about which top option to go with and what kind of top to go with. I do still have two fat quarters of coordinating fabric which might go toward the back - though considering I like them so well I couldn't bring myself to cut into them when making the top, I'm not sure I can make them into 'just' a back...

No comments:

Post a Comment