16 August 2012

Pinterest Challenge: DIY Prairie Point Garland

Before I started planning my wedding, I never gave any extra thought to garland or bunting. Actually, I probably never gave any thought to it. But it doesn't take long looking at wedding planning blogs to get sucked into the garland/bunting loving - and I fell for it all the way. Despite the effort of DIYing some, we had quite a lot at our wedding - both hanging from the edges of the houses and sheds, but also along the fence posts by our country road. Now days, that garland hangs from the ceiling of our little house.

So, it shouldn't be any surprise that the moment I saw this Prairie Points Garland tutorial at Frozen Knickers, I pinned it instantly and knew I wanted to turn my attention to it. $0.99 fat quarters seemed like the perfect opportunity to pick up a few fabrics to make into prairie points.

I turned bits of my four fat quarters into twenty 3.25 squares, then turned the squares into prairie points. 

I didn't have any double fold bias tape, so I made my own. For the most part, that worked alright - but the back didn't turn out quite as nicely tucked as the top. Next time I'll try using an iron instead of just finger pressing it. I expect that'll help things look better front and back. 


Twenty points weren't quite enough to hang where I want (see above), but I've relocated this strand to a small blank space on the office wall. For the moment, it's nice to have a bit more color on the wall.

This used less than 1/4 of each fat quarter, so I think I'll make another, longer chain to hang in the bathroom (see above). I'd like to try a chain where the points don't overlap - it might make it easier to drape in the small space I'm trying to decorate. If I find a thick enough ribbon in my bin, I may use a folded over piece of ribbon instead of attempting to make double fold bias tape. If that doesn't work, I may try applying single fold bias tape in a manner more like the way I bind quilts (thus, sewing the points to the tape twice). Either way might yield better results than the back side of the double fold I worked with this time.

I'm happy with it, and can't wait to make a longer version to brighten up my bathroom. With a bit more practice, I'd also love to figure out a way to apply it to a quilt top (in a garland/bunting style). This was a blast to make, and easy enough I don't feel bad for being 'addicted' to the process!

Alright, I'm 'addicted' to the results too.

1 comment:

  1. Have I ever told you you're amazing? And then your sewing projects are cool too :)

    ReplyDelete